Overseas Teachers

Information for Teachers from Overseas
To teach in the UK you must have the appropriate qualifications and visas. 
The recognised teaching qualification in the UK is QTS. 
In order to teach in State maintained schools in England you must hold Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)
Qualified teachers who have trained outside of England can obtain QTS by having their qualifications assessed by the National College for Teaching and Leadership. This includes teachers who trained in Scotland, Northern Ireland, the European Economic Area (EEA), Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United States of America (USA).

Teachers who trained outside the EEA and who are not nationals of an EEA member state can work as a temporary teacher for up to 4 years without QTS (provided they are working towards gaining QTS).  
In order to apply for QTS you will need an official document that states how your international qualifications compare to UK qualifications. 

To request a Statement of Comparability visit.  www.naric.org.uk/naric

Adapting to English Schools
It is vital for an overseas teacher to be able to demonstrate the ability to adapt to the cultural differences in the classroom, have appropriate skills in classroom management and knowledge of national curriculum standards. Regardless of where you come from it is essential that your written and verbal communication skills in English are good so that you can communicate clearly with the children.

Permission to work
European Economic Area
European Economic Area national does not need permission to work and can be employed on the same basis as a UK national.

Some Commonwealth nationals may work full time without a work permit, if a parent or grandparent was born in the UK.

Commonwealth nationals who have been admitted to the UK on a working holiday visa, may take casual work without the need for a work permit. This means they can work as a supply teacher (substitute) teacher on a part time basis for most of one year.  On expiry of their working holiday visa they will not be permitted to continue working in the UK without a full work permit.

Other Countries
Nationals of countries not in the EEA or Commonwealth will need a work permit for employment in the UK. People with dual nationality in Britain or another EU Country, which includes being married to a British National, or a spouse with dual nationality will not need permission to work in the UK.
The immigration service is responsible for deciding whether someone may enter the UK and what they are allowed to do. People outside the UK who need advice on whether they need a work permit should contact their nearest British Embassy, British Consulate or High Commission.  The Home Office will advise people already in the UK.

Work Permits
Applications for work permits can only be made by the prospective employer. Teacher employment agencies ARE NOT eligible to apply for work permits.

Police Checks
You must have evidence of Police Clearance from any overseas country where you have lived for more than 3 months

Download our 'Overseas Teachers' page as a PDF